Mittwoch, 10. August 2011

corner view: homeplace

Ja..............meine "alte Heimat", so nenne ich sie: die Stadt, in der ich geboren wurde und in der ich aufgewachsen bin, eine mittelgroße Stadt mit rund 75.000 Einwohnern inmitten von viel Natur. Dort lebt meine gesamte Familie, dort steht mein Elternhaus.
Nein...........mit 21 musste ich was anderes sehen und habe die Stadt verlassen. Seitdem bin ich 4x umgezogen. In der jetzigen Stadt lebe ich nun schon so lange, dass ich sie ebenfalls als mein Zuhause bezeichne. Schon als Kind hatte ich mehrere Zuhauses, denn ich war oft bei meinen Groß- und Urgroßeltern. Und sehr früh durfte ich schon mit auf weite Reisen, sodass auch manche fernen Orte ein Gefühl von Heimat auslösen, wenn man nach langer Zeit dorthin zurückkehrt.
Vielleicht....bin ich deshalb an vielen Orten gern und fühle mich, umgeben von bestimmten Menschen oder Dingen, auch an neuen Plätzen schnell zuhause. Trotzdem ist es schön, den vielgerühmten Heimathafen zu haben, der Ort, wo die meisten Erinnerungen sind. Ich habe mich oft gefragt, wie es den Menschen im nahegelegenen riesigen Tagebaugebiet Garzweiler geht, die aus den 23 Ortschaften stammen, die für den Braunkohleabbau weggebaggert wurden oder noch werden. Auch wenn ich nicht mehr in meiner Heimatstadt lebe, wäre es für mich unvorstellbar, sie wäre plötzlich einfach von der Landkarte wegradiert!

dieser corner view kommt von kristin.

Yes.............my "old homeplace", that's what I call it: the city where I was born and raised, a medium sized city with about 75,000 inhabitants, surrounded by lots of nature. My whole family lives there, there is my parent's house.
No..............at the age of 21 I had to see something else and left the town. I've moved 4 times since then. In the current city I am living for so long now, that I also refer to it as my home. Even as a child I had several homes because I was so often with my grandparents and great grandparents. And from very early on I was taken on wide travels, so that also even distant places give me a feeling of home when I return there after a long time.
Maybe.........this is why I am so happy in many places and, when I'm surrounded by certain people or things, feel quickly at home at new places. Still, it's good to have that much-vaunted home port, the place where most of the memories are. I've often wondered how people of nearby huge mining area Garzweiler feel, that lived in those 23 villages which have been (or are yet going to be) dredged away for the lignite. Even though I don't live in my old homeplace anymore, it would be inconceivable to me, that it would just suddenly be erased from the map!

this corner view is from kristin.

18 Kommentare:

  1. beautiful!! how exciting to spend so much time with your grandparents and great-grandparents. Not only to see "home" through their eyes, but to hear stories that can't be found in a book. xo

    AntwortenLöschen
  2. Nice to have such a wide array of "homeplaces."

    AntwortenLöschen
  3. You're "rich" ;) of these different places and people.
    I like your story of the "coeur de pierre" ;) thanks for sharing it with me.

    AntwortenLöschen
  4. i understand what you mean about many homeplaces ... very nice post.

    AntwortenLöschen
  5. I think in a sense we're all becoming more and more citizens of the world.

    AntwortenLöschen
  6. I love that you are happy in so many places :)

    AntwortenLöschen
  7. It is nice to know your first home is always there physically as well as in your mind and heart.

    AntwortenLöschen
  8. It's good to have that grounding to begin with. I think it may be easier to travel and be comfortable in other places.

    AntwortenLöschen
  9. ha ha ha...
    if 75 000 is medium, then i live in a tiny (ha! tiny!) town indeed, with our 30 000 souls...
    and yes, i've heard of places disappearing. it must feel totally uncanny if your first ever homeplace ceases to exist, i'm thinking...
    i think i begin to see your architectural ways.
    n♥
    (morissey was in belgium... i was not there...)

    AntwortenLöschen
  10. i had to wiki sauerland, what a beautiful area. and even though i don't live there anymore, i can't imagine having my old homeplace taken of the map like those villages.

    AntwortenLöschen
  11. What a beautiful place to grow up! And to have your family still there is very special. There are strangers living in my childhood home, which is a little sad to me. (Granted, there are much bigger tragedies in the world :-) )

    AntwortenLöschen
  12. Schöne Homage an die "neue" Heimat, wunderschöne Fotos.
    Lieben Gruß
    moni

    AntwortenLöschen
  13. Das finde ich auch unvorstellbar, dass Heimatorte einfach ausgelöscht werden. Was kann man seinen Kindern dann zeigen - später? Ich wurde in Chemnitz geboren und im letzten Jahr wollte ich meiner Tochter die Schule zeigen, die ich besucht habe. Sie war weg, abegerissen. Schon ein komisches Gefühl, weil man ja doch eine lange Zeit dort war.
    Das dritte Foto ist toll, sieht ein wenig aus wie hier unten in Niederbayern.

    AntwortenLöschen
  14. Oh, what beautiful place you grew up in! I feel the same way about Poland and my parents: it will always be home...

    Thank you for sharing :)

    AntwortenLöschen
  15. Know what you mean, I also appreciate the opportunity to visit my parents in my old hometown.

    AntwortenLöschen
  16. It's very moving, really, to see such a lush and beautiful homeplace and to then think of the possiblity of it being "erased." Perhaps that's why they say "Home is where the heart is..." because what's in the heart can not be taken away!

    AntwortenLöschen